Sunday, February 8, 2009

Dream Analysis Part 3: Lacan

Okay for the final analysis I will be working with an interpretation that I am not as experienced with. A Lacanian analysis of my dream. The ordinary interpretation that I have developed so far is that the dream is reminding me of my situation with love. But this is looking at the dream's symbolic content which may be distracting from its real content. What my secret wish was, to make the right choice no matter what regarding love, under the Freudian interpretation is not really important. What is more important is the fact that it used school, tests, teachers, extroverted classmates, and symbols that link to art history and geek culture to fulfill this wish. The dream had to use this because the unconscious ideas needed a way to be articulated in the symbolic order which makes them morally okay. The imagery of school is deemed as fine. All these things are removed from the world of dating and romance. This shows what exactly my unconscious thinks is okay, what can be allowed. School, girls I would never date, geek culture, and anime comics about romance are all fine for me. It betrayed itself most in the comic though and that is why the both the Freudian and Jungian analysis was able to get as far as it did. What exactly is wrong with romance? Well it goes back to my grand conflict with the religion that I am raised with. Under this religion dating is something that people in the market for marriage. Dating would be a sign of my rejection, thus my death on judgement day. This is the dream's real meaning under Lacanian interpretation.

Well that's all, I learned alot. Dreams have more meaning than you may think especially if you remember them. 

1 comment:

snowqueen said...

a very interesting series of analyses. I wonder if you have missed an element though? School is a place of learning - where you are a student. Anime is predominantly a teenage artform - at least in the sense that the characters always seem to have the wide-eyed innocent look. So maybe it is suggesting that your relationship to love is as yet immature, that you need to study it more - possibly in a practical rather than theoretical way. The Empire may be symbolic of the way romantic love is presented by consumerist media whereas you are more drawn to a rebel perspective - your own version of love which goes against the pressures of normalisation?

Just a thought ...